Why hasn’t Damien figured it out yet?

I don’t really have any opinion on who to ship with whom, especially since it doesn’t really feel like something that’d make sense for Siobhan to be interested in given her personality so far and circumstances especially.

That said, I can definitely see Damien venturing out a wild guess, given his avid readership of far-fetched fiction :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, though, I think the one I can see figuring it out the soonest is Ana, because she’s both very much so a patient observer and able/willing to make bold plays, and I’m 90% sure that early Sebastien definitely had some female-coded mannerisms, gait/posture, habits, etc. that she’d have picked up on, and while that’s definitely not enough to figure him out, between that, the boon, and his links to the Undreaming Order, she’s got the exact right kind of personality to lull Sebastien in a conversation and then just ask “So what’s it like being the Raven Queen” or calling him Siobhan to see how he reacts.

Also since I’m already including a few thoughts in a single comment, @AzaleaEllis, I think it’d make a lot of sense to explain Sebastein’s lack of gender dysphoria(which IIRC you consider a bit of a missed opportunity and I agree) through Myrddin’s journals describing experiencing some incongruity and intentionally designing extra integration with one’s sense of self (with possible surprising effects on ability to cast in an alternative body and another tangent about the implications of that)

5 Likes

I won’t specify what here, but I will mention that something in that comment has rather amusing timing with regards to Patreon spoilers.

As for the physical mannerisms at least though I feel like Sebastien might my much more of a blank slate than would be possible for most people. With her apparent complete lack of muscle memory, her ridiculous degree of conscious control of her body (she can just pick up from a book things that would take most people years or decades to master with a teacher), and her inability to unconsciously control her body (she literally fell down because she was thinking too hard), I don’t think she even has mannerisms. This might actually be her most unique trait, beyond everything else she has going for her.

Speech patterns and intonation might be another matter though.

2 Likes

As someone who can figure out most things from reading a book and apply it to real life, this is a real skill

However, our girl seems to apply things much faster than I can (seeing an actual example helps me with somethings, I’m okay with the skill)

This is a real thing… And i have met a few people who seem to learn from books with the ease of our girl.

~~iirc the lack of dysphoria is more due to not wanting to express it wrong? If you have never experienced the complete and total this is not my body and I cannot handle being in the wrong body…

Heck, trying to describe my dysphoria when I’m not experiencing it (I’m fluid) is difficult… And I don’t like talking about it when I am feeling it…

There is some points where she clearly notices the shift in the beginning… But then she decides that her male form can help her and she was going to embrace it

For all her clumsiness… That chika has willpower to spare, and prob just started to treat the diffences like most people ignore the sound of the electronics around them.

As someone who actually researched posture and gait related topics a lot for reasons, the way you walk and carry yourself depends a lot on your body, with plenty of differences based around differences such as weight, height, and especially gender, as well as gender-role-specific body language you subconsciously adopt (including (in some cultures) gay people adopting mannerisms of the opposite gender, often without consciously realizing it, which is where lots of stereotypes come from).

So I am 100% certain that, at least for the first few weeks, Sebastien would have had very unusually female-coded body language, like more hip swing when walking, less nodding, different resting positions, how you place your legs when sitting, etc. etc. And obviously a short period of being extra clumsy. But there’s a lot and you CAN tell if you’re observant, which Ana very much so is.

3 Likes