Myrddin Parallels

So, the dual-casting is a very simple, textually obvious parallel that can be drawn. There’s a connection with the journals, but there’s also some other links I feel are interesting. Namely, the shadow familiar. Not nessesarily what it is now, but what it could become. If Siobhan learns to Sacrifice more things, it will very swiftly begin to approach that shield spell that was recorded. A section of void, which eats anything directed at it and grows in doing so? There’s all sorts of tales that could be woven from that, and she does allegedly have access to one of his books after all…

There’s also the very thin one that I’m personally stanning, of her mother’s conduit being similar to Myrddin’s, only one tiny, tiny imperfection. This is very thin and honestly based on nothing but vibes, but I like it. If I turn out to be right, I’ll be delighted.

1 Like

That is a completely weird and awesome catch. I hope you’re right!

Her ability with animals and people. only using her Will, is a Myrddin parallel, I think? I wonder if someone who remembers better could correct me on this…

bearing just Will is a freecaster thing, I think, because Lacer does it in the chapter where he goes to the Stags as well

1 Like

The scene in her Defense final where she was distancing the shield spell was reminiscent of the Myrddin duel too for me. She was stuck laying there, unmoving (in her case because she would lose contact with Damien’s conduit if she did) but was able to flicker a small shield around to block many different attacks from different angles similar to how Myrddin was able to defend against pincer attacks in that duel.

Blockquote There’s also the very thin one that I’m personally stanning, of her mother’s conduit being similar to Myrddin’s, only one tiny, tiny imperfection.

I also noted a similarity here! Glad I am not the only one to have this theory. Obviously many generations removed, but perhaps the Naughts are descended from Myrddin in some way… which could suggest that the ability to spilt the Will is hereditary and unique to that line?

2 Likes

That is my thought as well, that Myrddin is either the ancestor of, or simply the most famous, of the Naught line.

Makes me wonder if he disappeared because he went north over the frozen wastes into another land …

2 Likes

This has been canon in my mind for so long now. It’s plausible - Myrddin lived an exceptionally long life, and never seemed to age past a certain point. Maybe he did take over the Blood Empire?

1 Like

Well he lived long before it - i was wondering more if he inadvertently founded it.

1 Like

That is my thought as well, that Myrddin is either the ancestor of, or simply the most famous, of the Naught line

I’m of the belief that the naught family line is actually a null family that got successfully experimented on. Her father making her less immune to magic

でも what if it isn’t simply that they are nulls because they are genetically different.

What if they are nulls because they just firmly (if subconsciously) believe magic won’t effect them, and it mostly behaves.

Look at Oliver, he doesn’t keep pots in the house because most don’t work on him, however, there are times when he takes them and they do work. Him being able to go through the ward of the marrow warehouse keyed to their lord…

To their lord, and Oliver had beaten him, I wonder if it considered that with lord morrow allowing him to touch him while going through he was transferring ownership (like the elder wand from hp)

But still.

There is a quote from the Bible that faith the size of a single mustard seed can move mountains.

Did you know that there is a quote in at least one pagan culture that says that doubt the size of an orchid seed can prevent you from being able to use magic? Or that in said culture you could, with focus, believe that you could use it AND not be affected by it at the same time? Though only a handful of people pull that off, like 3 have been known to do it. That was fascinating to watch. (Yes, I know people from that ‘religion’, and no I will not expand on it)

Is this a world where reincarnation is a thing? Or is it that so many people think our girl is so powerful that they will just believe until yeah, okay, she’s either a godling or second coming of myrddin

I’ve been thinking about this for awhile, and I’m going to guess its animism. Snow White’s secret magical power.

1 Like

@AzaleaEllis , if you’re reading this, I would sell my soul for a scene with Siobhan charming a Giant Kraken and getting it free of a net or something.

Souls, kidneys, whatever is the most valuable. :joy:

Her ability to focus with her Will and have animals and people respond to it isn’t unique - we see both Liza and the hospital shaman immediately do the same thing, once told about it. Siobhan just seems to be the first person who thought about trying it. It’s likely that other thaumaterges also have used the same Will focus, and just didn’t share the secret behind it.

Siobhan doesn’t seem very inclined to keep everything about spell casting a secret. Maybe because some of the things she does (the Will effect, dual-casting, skin Conduit usage) she doesn’t realize aren’t common knowledge.

I wonder how well she would get along with Zorian Kazinski, the MC of “Mother of Learning.”

1 Like

It isn’t actually original. Animists do the same thing. But Siobhan does seem to have a certain…compatibility with the idea.

2 Likes