What part of the world are you from?

I thought this could be fun - I know most of us are from the USA, but a lot of us are from different parts of the world, or have lived in several places. If you feel like sharing where you’re from, please add a fun or little-known fact about your area.

I’m from Northern Virginia, but I lived in Denver for 5 years and in the Midwest for 1.5 years. I’m currently back in NOVA, and one of the things we’re known for is being the data center capital of the world - this area controls about 35% of the data centers worldwide, and use 12% of the local energy supply. Nearly everything comes through here. (It’s also a massive environmental and property value nightmare, but that’s all of the DC metro area for you.)

I’m from this tiny country in the Caribbean called Trinidad and Tobago and it’s probably stastically probable I’m the only one from there here lol. We created the steel pan which is made from oil drums and it is the only musical instrument created in the 20th century.

3 Likes

I’m from the Maryland side of the DC metro area. My town feels about 70% gov’t worker. I’m 10 minutes from NASA and about 5 minutes from USDA’s Agricultural Research Center. I’ve lived in Ohio, Indiana, and Virginia. And, I still spend time in VA pretty often.

1 Like

I’m originally from East Alabama, but have lived in Gainesville GA (the chicken capitol of the US- no, really- there’s a chicken statue in the town square) for the last 10 years. Other than that quirky tidbit, there’s not much to distinquish it from a thousand other smallish cities and large towns.

3 Likes

Sparks Nevada… ( aka Reno/Tahoe area)… But originally and spiritually a Vermonter

2 Likes

I am reading mostly from Hungary (sometimes I am in Austria.) I was not sure how many fellow Hungarians might be reading it, but it is far less unlikely that there is someone else compared to Trinidad and Tobago.

3 Likes

I was born in Zimbabwe but currently live in South Africa. I don’t think I’m the only African reader who enjoys this book but am probably a minority, especially if we take patreon users into account.

4 Likes

I was born and educated in France but I have been living in Romania for some time. That makes me Superqwat’s European neighbor.

4 Likes

I’m from Ohio. Haven’t quite been able to leave it yet lol. From Google, some fun facts are
Fifty percent of the United States population lives within a 500-mile radius of Columbus, Ohio.
It’s illegal to fish for whales on Sundays.

3 Likes

I’m from across the pond, living in the upmost tip of Africa, Tunisia!

2 Likes

Sydney, Australia. Grew up in Auckland, New Zealand.

1 Like

Born in Poland. Live in Scotland.

2 Likes

This is so cool to see where everyone is from! Thank you all for participating.

California! But hopefully, going to Thailand in a couple years :eyes:

2 Likes

Born in Vegas, currently settled north of Seattle after doing a career in the Navy.

1 Like

Germany, close to Cologne and the Border with Belgium/The Netherlands.

3 Likes

Florence, Oregon. In the middle of the Oregon coast. Living within ear shot of the Pacific Ocean is like living by an interstate highway but with higher taxes.

1 Like

I just visited Sydney last November, what an awesome city.

1 Like

I was born in Texas and moved around a lot down there with my family before coming up to Idaho about 12 years ago.

The last place we lived down south was Cisco, TX, population 3500, where they had some laws about putting a diaper on your horse when you rode it through town. Several times I saw townspeople riding their horses through the local Sonic drive-through.

Up here in Idaho, I’m in the Treasure Valley area, surrounded by mountains. The first thing I noticed when I arrived is that the trees are so much bigger here than they were in Texas.

It’s also here that it got so cold that the inside of my nostrils froze for the first time. I admit, I was alarmed.

My guy tells me that this isn’t how seasons work, but I am convinced that it is winter 5 months out of the year here. :frowning:

Edit: to outsiders, Idaho is known for potatoes, but I actually feel like there’s a lot more sugar beet farming being done. The factories have this weird almost peanut-butter scent that they give off. You can smell them for miles around.

4 Likes

Same as Calle, I’m from Germany, but I live closer to Düsseldorf than to Cologne. Nice to know someone so close by is enjoying this series as well​:grin::blush:

3 Likes